Can someone running Firefox under R5.0.3 please verify whether Firefox locks up and becomes unresponsive when using SSL sites? Or if you use R5 and SSL and have NOT seen this, please post a comment, too.
Have not seen this using the latest Firefox on BeOS Max v4b1 and the latest Firefox Bleeding Edge on BeOS Max v3.0. In both cases I tried the http://www.ssl.com website, clicking the 'login' link from there.
Thanks, meanwhile2. Would you please try a couple of additional steps? Please turn ON automatic updates (Tools/Options/Advanced/Update) and also try hitting http://www.wellsfargo.com. Automatic updates use SSL and I've seen my version hang simply by bringing up the Wells Fargo web page (it redirects to SSL) and letting the browser sit, inactive. Sometimes as little as a couple of minutes, sometimes as long as an hour. The browser becomes unresponsive and if you drag the window off screen then back on, it does not paint correctly.
I found that most of my problems went away when I installed "User Agent Switcher" and set it to 'XP and Netscape 4.7' Seems like lots of websites like AOL and Hotmail will hang unless you pretend to be using an *approved* OS. Also when the window "hangs" at a ssl site just hold down the Shift Key and click reload and it will finish loading. I'm using the version of firefox that came with BeOS Max v3... Snuhwolf